Kirkby Lonsdale 50 – 3 Pocklington

To start, a post script from the Rossendale match last week where some thought Skipper Ben Walker was not his usual self at scrum half. They were right, it turned out the injury he was carrying for most of the second half was a fractured shoulder bone which now side-lines him for 4/6 weeks.

So, on to this Saturday, the first ever fixture between the two clubs and step in from the wing young master Harry Huddleston who produced a virtuoso performance at nine. Kirkby kicked off towards the clubhouse, Pocklington caught cleanly and ran it back, it was a bright start from them and they took the lead 0 – 3 with a penalty after four minutes from their full back Dan Elliot, but that was as good as it got for the visitors.

Kirkby hit back when like a grey cat in the dark Huddleston evaded all attempts at capture, found space down the blindside right touchline and was gone from around half way to score in the corner, Ryan Terry’s conversion narrowly missed but Kirkby were ahead  5 – 3 as ten minutes came up on the clock.

And it was Huddleston again with the second try when he picked up cleanly from the back of a ruck and weaved through the defence to score, again the kick was just wide but it was 10 – 3. Great build up play with fast hands then gave Kirkby’s outside centre Scott Armstrong a chance from around thirty metres and he was unstoppable to score by the posts, Terry’s conversion making it 17 – 3 at the end of the first quarter. On the half hour tight head prop Tyran Fagan was forced off with a broken finger, Dan Thompson coming off the bench to replace him at three but although Kirkby had the balance of play there was no further score when the half time whistle went.

For the second half the powerful presence of Andre Potgieter took over from Ross Towers at seven and Kirkby advanced their score with a clever loop move involving stand-off Dave Barton and Scott Armstrong which put winger Martyn Knapton in after six minutes, the conversion taking it to 24 – 3. More magic followed as fast movement and offloading took Kirkby towards the Pocklington line where Huddleston put in a deft chip over the defence for Barton to run on and score the fifth try after seventeen minutes, the kick taking the score to 31 – 3, Pocklington had their moments but Kirkby were in comfortable control.

Five minutes later they were in again, an Armstrong run was halted close to the line but the ball was recycled and moved left for hooker Holyland to score try six, the kick moving things on to 38 – 3 at the end of the third quarter. Then Pocklington rallied with a period of sustained possession near the Kirkby line, their best spell of the game but the defence was good, the visitors didn’t prosper and Kirkby broke out to resume normal service and attacking the line it seemed to be second row Gareth Gore who got the ball down for try seven, the conversion making it 45 – 3 with around ten minutes to play.

Could Kirkby get fifty? Yes, courtesy of winger Knapton who scooted in by the left corner flag in the thirty ninth minute for his second try, the well struck touchline conversion drifted wide but it was all over with the final score at 50 – 3 and eight tries to nil and fortress Underley Park remains intact, now with fifty one straight home wins in league matches. A tough test awaits next week away on the artificial pitch at high flying Preston Grasshoppers who are making a big push to win this league and reclaim their recently lost status in National two.



1   Dan Armistead

2   Matt Holyland

3   Tyran Fagan

4   Leandro Kwiczor

5   Gareth Gore

6   Alex Rogers

7   Ross Towers

8   David Maka

9   Harry Huddleston

10 Dave Barton

11 Josh Maddock

12 Tom Pickthall ©

13 Scott Armstrong

14 Martyn Knapton

15 Ryan Terry



16 Dan Thompson

17 Craig Galbraith

18 Andre Potgieter