Kirkby Lonsdale 12 – 42 Hull

Oh Hull!

A personal view by Cammie Hodgkinson

Kirkby Lonsdale Sponsor, Ed Fairhurst, has huge machines that saw blocks of stone, he doesn’t need them, the howling gale that swept down Underley Park from the north had a cutting edge that would do the job quite nicely. Three cheers for the hardy spectators who endured hurricane level blizzards huddled together for warmth in whatever protection they could find as snow flakes were driven like tracer bullets down the ground as the wind howled in over the clubhouse.


Sympathy goes to the wingers in those conditions, some to the three-quarters who were involved in the occasional ruck but none to the forwards who, from time to time, could bask in the warmth of a scrum. Oh to be in England now that spring is here, but even the brass monkeys had legged it for this one and if you get the message it was unbelievably cold for this game.


The chill extended to the Kirkby squad who were without four key players for this first ever game against Hull, prop Tyran Fagan, first choice second rowers Gareth Gore and Matt Hughes and centre Scott Armstrong. Stepping up from the development squad were youngsters James Fishwick who started in the second row with James Law and Will Brown on the bench.


Hull kicked off towards the town with the gale at their backs and were over for an unconverted try with four minutes on the clock 0 – 5. When snow was carried on the gale into eyes it must have been difficult for Kirkby to see and Hull quickly scored again when they went in under the posts, the kick making it 0 – 12. A promising Kirkby attack failed when they lost the ball in a tackle inside the Hull twenty two and the visitors counter attacked at pace to score their third try, James Fishwick putting in a brave tackle in the process but in doing so picking up an injury which took him off the field and brought Will Brown into the action.


There was concern about Kirkby tackling but that is a Kirkby forte’ and the concern may have overlooked the fact that Hull, who look like a semi-professional outfit, are a big fast side who run very well on good angles. It was backs to the wall for Kirkby in the first half as Hull ran in two more tries, one against fourteen men when Kirkby stand-off Dave Barton was yellow carded for what the ref adjudged to be a deliberate knock down of a pass and the visitors led  0 – 34 at half time.


However, it was Kirkby’s turn to ride the wind in the second half and skipper Ben Walker scored an unconverted try to put them on the board at 5 – 34, although there was nobody doing the board in the conditions. A Hull penalty made it 5 – 37 before Dave Barton wove some magic to put young winger Harry Huddleston in for a try by the left corner flag, in the conditions Tom Pickthall kicked the nearly impossible conversion from the touchline to make it 12 – 37.


Hull made the final score 12 – 42 late on with an unconverted try which left Kirkby clinging to the fact that they had won the second half, but not by as much as Hull won the first. Credit to both teams for putting a game on in those conditions and it was a tough encounter for Kirkby’s young guns but it was a deserved win for the visitors which moves them into second place and into the play-off position. Kirkby’s man of the match was number eight Alex Rogers for an untiring and skilful effort from the back of a scrum which was under pressure all day.



1   Dan Armistead

2   Matt Holyland

3   Dan Thompson

4   Craig Galbraith

5   James Fishwick

6   Dave Maka

7   Stuart Storey

8   Alex Rogers

9   Ben Walker

10 Dave Barton

11 Harry Huddleston

12 Tom Pickthall

13 Harry Ralston

14 Matthew Bargh

15 Ryan Terry



16 James Law

17 Will Brown

18 Agustin Cittadini